[Bf-taskforce25] Ward Ansio stropic shader

Michael Fox mfoxdogg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 00:10:50 CEST 2009

On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 14:57 +0200, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is one of those areas of code I'm a bit hesitant to accept patches
> because the existing code is already very suspicious, and extending it
> means more stuff to fix later..

sure no worries

> I would like to see an explanation for why you are computing the
> tangents the way you do it (and comments in the code). You convert the
> surface normal to object space, but then seem to treat it as if it is in
> view space?

current tangents calculations are so terrible and very hard to get
right, i couldn't at the time i was coding it, get it out of screen/view
space :S, i guess my math wasn't all that great

> Also, is the result independent of the precise vectors VecOrthoBasisf
> gives? The exact way the x and y are pointing should be considered
> undefined, all you know is they are orthogonal to the normal.

yeah you don't need the vectors to be precise, in my tests they seem to
be done pretty much ok when an axis is flipping at some point