[Bf-taskforce25] Developer Docs

Roland Hess me at harkyman.com
Sat Jul 25 02:08:54 CEST 2009

Howdy. I've been looking ahead to some down time before my next project
kicks in, and was hoping to spend it doing some work on 2.5 (maybe
operator-i-fying some armature and anim stuff, python-i-fying headers,
etc.) but have run into a snag. It seems as though the developer docs
that were quite popular at the beginning of this whole project have
fallen behind the times. I tried to work through these projects by
simply reading the code, but without anything at all to guide (i.e.
comments in the code), I'm getting the feeling that it's just too much
work for the time I have available.

What would be great from a returning developer's point of view (and I'm
sure it would benefit future devs as well), would be to have examples of
some of the new structures well-documented within the code. For example,
when adding header menus and elements for a new space type (Action space
still uses the old structure) it would be instructive to have at least
one of the other existing space types that has already been converted
have explanatory comments within the code. I realize that for those of
you who came up with the concepts for how all of this new stuff works
internally, this is pretty simple and obvious stuff. For those of us who
would like to pitch in, though, there is no doc that says: python-based
header menus require items 1,2,3 and a,b,c. I suppose that one could
really take a couple of weeks, read all of the code, figure out what's
relevant and what isn't, what's canon and what's a hack, and then start
pecking away with trial and error until the light goes on. However, I
think it would be much better if the way this stuff works were actually
written down somewhere.

Not sure how many people are in my same boat, i.e. if I understand the
structure and specs I can do the work. It might be a lot. It might be
just me. From the looks of things, there is plenty of dev help at this
point, so it might not even be worth the time to really document these
new processes.

Anyway, thanks for listening.
Roland Hess
harkyman