[Bf-taskforce25] Yes!! a nice font again!!

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Tue Jul 14 03:04:57 CEST 2009

Hi,
hidarikiki at gmx.net (2009-07-14 at 0109.41 +0200):
> I hope there still remains the option of no antialiasing for fonts
> (maybe in the theme?). It's a proven fact that small fonts are more
> readable (easier for eye and brain to decipher) when they're not
> antialiased.

But, please, properly hinted and adjusted into the pixel grid (ie, a
la hand tuned bitmaps). People tend to take the full issue as on or
off, and the issue is a bit more complex (and yes, that includes fonts
with really poor hinting that look like noise if you use no greyscale
rendering... just avoid them).

After all the changes, I wonder why so much tweaks... maybe it would
had been just easier to go with something like fontconfig, which
allows having bitmap-like small fonts and at the same time big sizes
with greyscale rendering (typically named "AA"), for example.

GSR