[Bf-taskforce25] Elubie Asset Manager

Andrea Weikert andrea at aweikert.de
Sun Jul 12 22:14:33 CEST 2009

Hi William,

William Reynish schrieb:
> Hi Elubie,
>
> Hope you don't mind me posting this on the taskforce.
>
> I've been looking over your proposal for a future asset manager space
> type, located here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/AssetBrowser
>   I promised to give some feedback on this, so here are some comments.
>
> The concept of such an area of Blender is a great one, and the
> functionality this provides is much needed. Currently it's quite hard
> to keep track of the linked data you're using, it's really hard to
> relink things, remove links, move things around between files. And one
> of the simplest things conceptually, deleting data, is sometimes all
> but impossible in Blender(!), because Blender can only remove data
> when it has no users, yet there is no easy way of seeing where data
> blocks are being used.

I am not sure that deleting datablocks is an issue for the asset
browser. In my understanding it
might be better handled in the outliner that shows the contents of the
current .blend file.
Maybe the term asset manager is a bit misleading and asset browser would
be more fitting.

> These are the two main use-cases I can think of for the asset manager:
> data management and presets.

Presets is one part, the other that I saw is Appending/Linking from an
external .blend file.
> Now for the actual UI you've proposed:
>
> * I like the fact that you have the same basic structure of a source
> list on the left and a content area of the right, shared by other
> editors in Blender
>
> * Previews will make it very easy, fast to recognize items. This is a
> no-brainer for materials and textures, but would be fantastic if this
> could work for any type of data - meshes, curves, even animation data?
> (Not easy!)

Previews for meshes, curves and other datablocks is planned, though
needs a bit of research on my part.
> * I like the idea of auto-discovery by inputting just a path, and
> Blender then simply aggregates all the data from Blend files in that
> path. Could even eventually work for things on networks, online(?)
> Similarly that these library links are not saved in the individual
> blend files, but accessible from any file.
>
> * I'm not sure, but judging on the mockups it seems there is no way of
> interacting with data that's already inside the current blend file?
> Perhaps you envisage this asset manager to only deal with linked data,
> or do I misinterpret? I think it would be quite vital to manage the
> data that's already in the file, for reusing assets from the same
> file, for deleting data - all the management stuff.

I saw that in your mockup you added an additional current file entry. I
forgot that in my mockup,
good catch, this was in my plans too ;) For the data inside the .blend
file I think a litle bit of
thinking is still required as to what functionality should be provided
and how it could work.
> * I don't understand the Groups region. Is it for actual Blender
> groups, or is it more like a favorites list? It seems like it's a way
> to group library blends. If so, why have two source lists, one grouped
> and one not? IMO it'd be a little simpler, cleaner to just have one
> source list, where you can add folders (not folders in the file
> system) for grouping items if you wish.

The Groups region was meant to just group the .blend files so they'd be
easier to find.
I do like your suggestion of just adding folders below he Library much
better though.
The add folder button should work nicely too.
> * I think if you have that much data, from many many blend files in
> one list it's quickly going to get very long ;) Therefore the
> filtering options are important. The data type filter at the top makes
> it quick to see only materials, only textures etc (You almost always
> know what *type* of data you're looking for) but only if the buttons
> are mutually exclusive. Holding shift can always be used for enabling
> multiple data types if desired. Additionally, it'd be great to get a
> search field too (can be on top right, next to the filter). Hopefully
> this will get implemented in the Outliner too.

Yes, search field is a great idea.
> *Using the little arrow to move files into the Groups pane is a little
> clunky. Perhaps could use the new drag n drop API to move to folders?

Agreed. It was also meant as an intermediate solution until we have the
drag n drop API.
> I've edited your mockup slightly (hope you don't mind!) to clarify
> some of the points. Added a 'current file' item in the source list,
> search field, combined the source lists, added New Folder button:
>
> http://www.reynish.com/files/blender25/asset_manager.png

No, on the contrary, good work on completing the stuff I missed. If
you're ok I'll add your mockup to the
wiki then.

Cheers,
Andrea