[Bf-taskforce25] defaults & tweaks list

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Sat Jul 11 19:04:22 CEST 2009

Hi Jason,

On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 12:06 -0400, Jason van Gumster wrote:
> Not to but in, but is having autokey on by default such a good idea?
> AFAIK, the predominant workflow is via manual keying and most
> applications (not that this should be too much of an argument) leave
> the default setting to manual, allowing animators who want it to
> enable it. Now, I have a bit of a bias because I'm partial to manual
> keying (autokey is the devil! ;), but I'd seriously reconsider setting
> autokey to be on by default. It's not the expected behavior.

There was also a short discussion on bf-committers about this recently,
but I still don't understand why someone would prefer manual keying. If
the property has a curve already, then I don't see why you would move it
and then not want it keyframed. To me it seems an unnecessary step
having to keyframe things explicity.

The only argument, besides standards, that I got from that discussion is
that it's useful to not keyframe as a way to undo all changes for that
frame and start again. But that can be implemented in other ways too.
Maybe it's because the feature works unreliable, or affects
unpredictable things in more complicated rigs? Or because it makes you
more explicitly aware of what you are keying?

I'd like to understand why people prefer manual keying, I haven't found
a clear answer to this yet.

Brecht.