[Bf-taskforce25] defaults & tweaks list

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Sat Jul 11 14:57:08 CEST 2009

Hi,

I've been keeping a list of small things I think could change. Some are
default changes, others are small code tweaks. Most of these are quite
simple, only a few are more work.

Also something I noticed is that will some defaults have changed in
the .B.blend, these are now out of sync with the defaults in the code
when creating a new datablock (when not copying from an existing one).
This is just a note to myself and others who do such changes, to keep
these in sync.

Brecht.

Rendering
---------

* Do Composite and Do Sequence enabled by default. But, they will only
operate if there are nodes or sequencer strips respectively.
* Stamp time,data,frame,scene,filename metadata into image file (not
render). Rename it "metadata" perhaps?
* Larger bake margin.
* Normal map default to tangent space for baking.
* Render to image window should render to an already open image window,
if there is no image open in that window
* Panorama should be a camera, not scene setting.
* Organize output formats by image/multilayer/movie in the menu.

More work:
* Rather than FFMPEG and Quicktime, the format menu could have entries
like Xvid, H.264, etc with simple quality controls, in addition to
Custom Quicktime and Custom FFMPEG for people who like to do fine
tuning.

Shading
-------

* Texture rgb color something else than the purple. Probably best to
still use a color, but a nicer one?
* Material preview sphere+sky could use nicer sky colors.
* Default mist depth non-zero (maybe 8, half number of grid lines).
* Object color in preview .blend should be white like the default.
* Object material looks different with and without materials slots, with
no material assigned.
* Texpace Mesh could be an option in the texture tab as an option for
Orco, to clarify what it does. Probably not actually make it a material
option.

More work:
* Texture influence, individual amount for each option.
* Replace sticky coordinates by UVs + texture mapping mode. Have not
verified this is possible, but MSticky also consists of two coordinates,
so perhaps it is just a matter of interpolating UVs differently? In any
case, I don't think people use this option much if at all.

Particles
---------

* Particle system normal velocity default to 1.0.
* Particle size much smaller (1.0 -> 0.05).
* Random distribution by default.
* Color by material by default.
* Fields strength 0.0 -> 1.0.
* Render emitter by default.

Files
-----

* Hide .dot files in file browser by default, and also hide tilde~
files.
* Enable/disable .blend file compression should be a property of
the .blend file, not a user pref. a user pref could be to enable/disable
it by default on new files.

Animation
---------

* Autokey & autokey insert available enabled by default.
* Graph/Dopesheet/NLA show selected only by default.

Other
-----

* Wave modifier half default speed, and smaller UI range.
* Remove Ev.M.Stack setting for collision, can be controlled with
collision modifier position.

More work:
* Memory limit for Undo. But this needs some kind of auto-detection to
obtain a reasonable limit depending on the computer?