[Bf-taskforce25] BGE 2.5 Proposal

Wahooney wahooney at wahooney.net
Sun Jul 5 19:35:37 CEST 2009

I hope that posting this here is the right move, feel free to chew me
out if it isn't :)

I know that BGE work on 2.5 is still in progress to get it working, but
it might be the right time to show my proposal: Behaviours.

I have used Torque Game Builder for a few years and they have a very
interesting mechanic called behaviours which may help the BGE cause
somewhat and the way I see it it has the potential to either completely
replace the logic brick system or at the very least make it more
powerful. Think of behaviours as modifiers for game logic.

Essentially a behaviour is a structured script that defines an object's
role in the game world, so you will just select a game object and assign
one or more behaviours to it, examples include: Mouse Look, Keyboard
Control, Take Damage, Deal Damage, etc. Behaviours will have a UI that
will allow users to set the parameters of the behaviour, like how
sensitive mouse look is, which keys are bound to which directions and
how fast movement in each direction is, how much damage an object can
take, how much damage an object deals, etc.

What the script will do is setup the object's logic to fulfil the
behaviour, so in the case of Mouse Look, it will create the Mouse Move
sensor, add the script controller and the movement actuator an link
everything up, which all happens in runtime, keeping your logic brick
stack clean from common tasks and open for more complex ones.

Behaviours can be as simple as making an object a rigid body or as
complicated as implementing a full set of FPS controls and everything in
between.

It is a very efficient system because a user will be able to create a
complex behaviour and apply it to any object with the click of a button.
I'm sure that BGE can benefit from some, if not all, of it's methods.

Another implementation idea, perhaps a better and possibly easier
implementation at that, is to allow the development of scripted logic
bricks with multiple inputs and outputs, which I believe is on the cards
with the EAR Inc. effort (correct me if I'm wrong). This solution may
very well be the middle ground between the power and flexibility of
logic bricks and the ease of behaviours.

Thanks for reading my ramblings guys and gals.

Keith.