[Bf-taskforce25] Unique sequence strip names

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Jan 26 14:00:25 CET 2009

Hi,

We went over this with some people in irc, a cool and interesting
discussion! :)
Tentative conclusions are (hope I word it correctly):

- names for strips can (optionally) be enforced unique
- having unique names should not be a requirement for the operators to
work though.
- we need to devise a good internal api (Blender side) that allows
selection groups to exist, defined either by context (user input),
stored, or created on the fly. The operator api can use this via
itterators, python can define them.
- generic 'selection groups' will also do great for future expansion to
nodes, think of bones groups, vertexgroups, objects, whatever. Same
goes for future construction history attempts. :)

Promoting sequencer data to ID level ("Library") is a great idea, but
it shouldn't be done on individual strip level, instead it's better to
convert the current "Editing" struct into a generic "bSequencer" (or
"bMovie" ?) ID library data block. That way we have the freedom to
either re-use a single strip or a complete movie edit.

That new ID entitity then can be used all over in Blender, like for
textures, but also again to insert in the sequencer as meta strip.

The current "Image" and the new "bMovie" can get a similarly functional
api, giving image data on request by a user of it. Expanding on the
idea, we should also allow:

- to insert an Image strip in Sequencer (Blender Image)
- to output the Sequencer result to either Image or Render Result
- Compositor to output to Image.
- Compositor to include a 'bMovie" node.

Here we get a nice generic way to have both sequencer and compositor
cooperate, with complex dependencies, but that's what we have depsgraph
for! :)

-Ton-

Blender Institute BV  Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam The Netherlands