[Bf-taskforce25] RNA structs for UI grouping?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 19:53:17 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 5:48 AM, Brecht Van Lommel <brecht at blender.org> wrote:
>> Hi Campbell,
>>
>> On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 20:48 -0800, Campbell Barton wrote:
>>> For documentation it would be good to know what struct
>>> MaterialRaytraceTransparency comes from, even though its logically a
>>> sibling of the RNA Material struct, it makes sense to document it as a
>>> struct within a struct.
>>>
>>> At the moment the HTML docs show MaterialRaytraceTransparency and
>>> Material as separate types, (though Material does show its member of
>>> MaterialRaytraceTransparency type and link to it, the Class Member
>>> index becomes confusing)
>>>
>>> Could there be a struct property for nested structs?
>>> StructRNA->parent/base/main/...  could be a StructRNA or string type.
>>
>> If we do this, we can also show MeshVertex under Mesh, or Constraints
>> under Object, etc, that gives a more organized view as well. I think
>> that this can be detected automatic? If a struct is only pointed to from
>> a single other struct and is not an ID struct, it can be shown nested in
>> the class index.
>>
>> Brecht.

> This is something I considered but I think doing this has some problems...
> any struct that has 1 point of access is assumed a nested struct, but
> if for some reason a second access point is added, the docs will
> change (breaking bookmarks/links - not THAT bad, but not great)
> If member 'FOO' happens to have 1 user and 'BAR' has 2, they will end
> up in different places in the docs too, even if both aren't nested
> structs.
>
> It also means you cant tell from the docs which structs need NULL checks.
>
> --
> - Campbell

Brecht, would it be ok if I look into adding some check for nested structs?

Docs are building again, just updated 18423, Good for having a look at
the mess we made!
http://www.graphicall.org/ftp/ideasman42/html/bpyoperator-module.html
http://www.graphicall.org/ftp/ideasman42/html/class-tree.html

Noticed operators are now magically in RNA too

--
- Campbell