[Bf-taskforce25] Updated TODO's

William Reynish william at reynish.com
Fri Aug 14 10:52:08 CEST 2009

Hi Brecht.

Nice list of todo's. I have some feedback for a few of your points,
below.

On 13 Aug, 2009, at 5:15 AM, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:

> * Improve sensitivity for number button dragging (but how?).

Ah yes, good you brought that up! At the moment dragging number
buttons results in an exponential increase in sensitivity. And when
you drag the number button back in the original range you were working
on, the sensitivity multiplier isn't reset, meaning the longer you
manipulate a numbut, increasing and decreasing the value, the
sensitivity gets worse over time.

The exponential increase in sensitivity means there isn't a 1 to 1
mapping of your hand movement and number value.

I actually think you can make it much better by simplifying things
quite a bit. Make the numbut dragging linear, so that dragging them
becomes predictable. If the default precision isn't enough, holding
shift can increase it, as it does for translation.

Now, for numbut dragging to become truly great, it'd be wonderful if
dragging the cursor to the edge of the screen didn't make the
manipulation stop, so that while dragging number fields the user isn't
constrained by the size of the screen. This is especially annoying is
a number field is close up against one of the screen edges (as it
likely to be, with the vertical buttons arrangement).

Here's a screen capture of one example of this working:

http://www.reynish.com/files/blender25/motion_numberfields.mov

> * Interactive updates while button dragging should not block things in
> slow scenes. Need some sort of threaded system for this?

That would be fantastic!

> * Modifier menu should become organized/multi column.

I actually made a mockup of this. Just making it multi-column does
afford us of much improvement, so here's a mockup of a categorized
version of that menu:

http://www.reynish.com/files/blender25/modifiers_menu.png

> 3D view
> -------
>
> * Draw normal, draw edges, normal size, etc option in panel here?

Yes, this makes much more sense in the n-key panel with the other
display/draw options. However they would probably need to become per-
view options for this to really work.

Cheers

-William