[Bf-taskforce25] usage of uiItemR()

Nathan Letwory jesterking at letwory.net
Mon Aug 10 10:02:22 CEST 2009

Joshua Leung wrote:
> Names with postfix 'R' mean RNA, or data/setting
> Names with postfix 'O' mean Operator, or command/tool

Meaning that, if you want an action to be executed through a button, you
have to create an operator first.

import bpy
class YourOperator(bpy.types.Operator):
	'''docstring'''
	__idname__ = "some.path.to.operator" # like "myops.resize"
	__label__ = "The string you see ie. in command search (ctrl+space)" #
like "My Resize"

	__props__ = [] # list of props used, see release/io/export_ply.py for
example

	def poll(self, context):
		# checks to ensure your operator has what it needs
		return True # or False if context is not correct, ie no selected objects

	def execute(self, context):
		# here your original resize() code
		return ('FINISHED', ) # or 'CANCELLED' or any of the others, depending
on what you need

To ensure your own operator actually gets registered to the operator
system, you have to do also:

bpy.ops.add(YourOperator)

Anyway, check export_ply.py and the pov render engine integration
scripts for many cool examples of  what you can do to integrate your
code tightly with Blender in a great way.

/Nathan

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Stefaan michielsen
> <stefaan.michielsen at gmail.com <mailto:stefaan.michielsen at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I can't get the way of how uiItemR() should be used.
>
>     for instance I want to create a button that resizes a cube when selected
>
>     def resize():
>           <code that resizes the current cube>
>
>     How can i call this function from within an itemR()?
>
>     itemR(context.scene, "resize") doesn't do it.
>
>     Help will be deeply appreciated

Nathan Letwory

http://www.planetblender.org | http://www.blender-fi.org