[Bf-taskforce25] Feedback on the new macros

joe joeedh at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 03:59:48 CEST 2009

So I was playing around with the new macros in the bmesh branch, and I
came across some problems.  At the moment, you can't really set RNA
properties on macro operators at macro definition time.  I managed to
get this to this work in my branch so I could get extrude to work
(needed to be able to set the constraint axis and orientation mode for
transform), but I ran across another problem.  The transform
parameters for extrude really depend on the specific context;
sometimes it should be grab, sometimes it should be grab constrained
along a normal, and other times it should be shrink/fatten.  Because
of this, I realized that using macros for extrude won't work, even
with the other changes I made.

I'm not sure how best to handle this; for now I'll probably revert the
changes I made to the macro system and have extrude use the old way of
invoking transform in the invoke callback.  I think this might be
best, since I'm not sure how to handle this situation with macros.
I'm starting to think we need to support multiple operators chained
together manually, without using the macro system, and have some way
to pass along parameters so the last operator panel only sees one
operator.  I dunno, I don't know what's best to do here.

Joe