[Bf-taskforce25] Work planning update

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Apr 29 14:50:20 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I went with Brecht over the todos for next weeks. Here's the work we're
doing now:

--- Fix View2D to support layout-engine (brecht).
This should ensure jitter-free scrolling and zoom. Also Scrollwheel
should default to scrolling, not zoom. Zoom can be ctrl+scrollwheel or
ctrl+MMB as usual.
To be checked is an option to make the layout-engine split collumns
automatically when a UI is too narrow. Another option is to use minimim
button sizes (as defined in style now) and just force the view to use a
scroller.

--- Templates:
To make porting of the more complex buttons from 2.4x feasible, the
layout engine will support C-defined button templates which you can
include in the UI scripts. Such templates can be small (data browser
buttons) or be of full panel size (image linkage and properties). It
will be especially used for buttons that have very complex handling,
which is still beyond what Python/RNA supports at the moment.

The templates can attempt to respect Layout hints, and fit nicely in
the buttons window.

Brecht will implement the basics for this, then others (incl. me) can
help porting over the nasty old button code for it.

This puts focus for UI migration on 'get things work first', before we
move to more fancy designs and implementation of such templates. Once
things work it's much easier to tackle that anyway.

--- Screen layouts / Operators (ton)
Better code for managing regions (drag, hide, reveil) will be added.
Work will also continue on toolbar, tool-redo UIs. I'll also put back
floating panel support for such experiments. Together with optional
popups it will give us sufficient choices for further testing. Also
here I'll first focus on validating basic operator/tools functioning
themselves. We need asap a new list of pending operators to be ported
for other coders too.
Once things work on implementation level well, tests for workflow
variations can just happily continue. Just wait a bit. :)

--- Preview render (ton)
Preview render 'widget' will be put back

--- Themes/Styles (ton)
All relevant settings will move to the UserDef. (Partially done, styles
and font files have to be added still).

-Ton-