[Bf-taskforce25] Panels, colours and such...

Michael Fox mfoxdogg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 02:13:45 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 23:03 +0200, Andrzej Ambroż wrote:
> -I-
> AUTOMAGICAL PANELS
>
> Right now, when the Buttons Window is small (as well as in case of N-key
> toolboxes, Outlier, and so on) panels doesn't fit the space so user have to
> scroll/pan to reach hidden content. Besides it's impossible to figure out
> how much of the content is outside the window (OK, it's easier when You
> knows the specific incarnation of the interface by heart).
> Picture:
> http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7907/panelautofit.png
> fig. 1. - current situation
> fig. 2. - how it could look like when the window's space is smaller than
> its content - the lowest panels could fold until everything go in the
> window (just one panel in my mockup).
> fig. 3. - after unfolding minimized panel, panels just above could fold
> until everything fits the window again.
>
> Moreover:
> a) the proposed system could be used all around the interface - in Outliner,
>  N-key toolboxes etc.
> b) pins on headers allow keeping panels maximized all the time. One can pin
> all of panels to get current way of displaying the content.
> Those icons help an user to orientate himself in the layout as well. We get
> stronger visual emphasize of each of content's group.
> c) Headers could get highlighted when mouse hovers over specific panel.
> Again - help for sense of orientation. There're of course more alternatives
> for my proposal - highlighting whole panel or just its outline.

we will be using scroll bars, they are simple and at a glance shows
there is more buttons and where roughly in buttons you currently are

> -II-
> WIDGET COLOURING
>
> Regarding to William's proposal - have to say that symbols used in the very
> mockup could be confusing since chain is commonly used to communicate
> linked edition of specific content. That's why I would suggest using
> "chain" for linking values editing in Transformations, render x and y size
> and such (will have to make mockup as well).
> Besides currently we have two Transformation panels (Object [F7] and 3D
> Window's N-key toolbox). I believe that:
> a) this functionality will be moved to (F7) panel
> b) we'll have two exactly the same panels in different spaces.
> In both cases we'll have one more icon (pad lock) next to the
> transformations value boxes.
> It's getting crushy here...
> So maybe outline alternative ain't so bad? We could use colours and outline
> types - continuous, dotted, etc. so it's somehow colour independent.
> At last Brian's idea of placing icons slightly over the specific element of
> GUI is interesting as well, because relation between symbol and content is
> obvious.

the final UI in terms of panel placement and such has not been decided
or designed, that's for William and Broken to do,

also i propose to put those icons inside the buttons so it doesn't look
like a link properties option in side by side cases