[Bf-taskforce25] User Preferences Mockup and Suggestion

Brian Staub brian.staub at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 1 21:57:51 CEST 2009

hi Brecht.

i was hoping that a design based on my mockup would be able to scale based on the content, so if new options and sections are added the Pref Pane would expand accordingly.  I was hoping the upcoming Auto Layout Code could handle something like this.  Would Python be able to create the Pref Pane as it appears in the mockup without having to create a new Window Type in the core code?  (please excuse my ignorance, i'm not a coder and don't understand the difficulties).  i think having Prefs as a standard Window is rather obtrusive, having to resize windows and whatnot to change a Prefs setting, even if it's Automatice.  not to brag, but i think this is an excellent solution, and maybe worth a new Window type if Python can't compensate.  In addition, it could be incredibly unintrusive if all windows remain responsive while the Pane is visible.  also in my design, i liked the idea of the Top Bar being absolutely stationary (not dragable), which provides
 consistency because you can always find those options, Prefs, File, Edit, etc. in the same place all of the time.

thanks for any consideration.

brian

  my site-click here to visit
system specs:
OS X 10.5.6
17" 'Unibody' MacbookPro, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 6MB shared L2 cache on 1.07 GHz FSB
4 GB DDR3 SDRAM
128 GB Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT discrete graphics w/ 512 MB VRAM and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics w/ 256 MB VRAM, 1920 x 1200 native resolution