[Bf-taskforce25] data api proposal

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 29 02:50:47 CEST 2008

Hi Brecht, Joshua, Silent Listeners,

--- On Sun, 9/28/08, Joshua Leung <aligorith at gmail.com> wrote:

> Re-IPO's:
> There are several issues that need to be considered when
> dealing with IPO's,
> which I don't think are currently covered.
> 1) There should be some in-built mechanism to prevent
> IPO's flushing over
> newly changed data when a refresh is done (i.e. after
> transform, but before
> keyframe is added).
> Currently, we rely on using setting flags at the
> object/bone level and/or
> the depsgraph to prevent this flushing from occurring,
> however this
> situation is not optimal as it's rather too coarse. A
> noticeable example of
> where this doesn't work, is in the buttons window after
> inserting keyframes,
> it sometimes becomes impossible to change some of the
> sliders. I would like
> to see this done per property if possible

Another, perhaps unrelated issue is propagating keyframe data on multiuser IPO blocks.

Right now, if you have two objects sharing one layer IPO (for example), moving one of them and keying doesn't affect the second one (only on frame change does it correctly update).

> - (Perhaps this is bordering more on Animation System
> design...)
> I suppose that Actions would simply do something similar
> too, but just act
> as containers(?).

Agreed. In my mind, actions are just a collection of IPO blocks, they should be reusable on objects different then the one they have been originally keyed on.

Martin