[Bf-taskforce25] data api proposal

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Sun Sep 28 21:11:37 CEST 2008

Hi,

Made some changes, and added a bit of text on IPO's. Haven't written
too much about it since I'm not very familiar with the issues there,
but I don't foresee many difficult issues, only thing I wonder about
is how to identify the property best (unique ID, name, ..).

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php?title=BlenderDev%2FBlender2.5%2FDataAPI&diff=57242&oldid=57172

Renamed list -> collection, added modify(), and a bunch of other changes.

Martin Poirier wrote:
> Getters will have to take a pointer as argument, the getter function
> will copy data in there. The same problem/solution applies to matrix,
> quat, color getters.

The reason I mentioned strings is that they can be variable length.
Though of course ID names for example have fixed length. I think a
function that gives a pointer + maxlength, and another function to
retrieve the length should work.

Both thanks for the feedback,

Brecht.