[Bf-taskforce25] View 2D API - Proposal

Domino Marama mark at identityserver.net
Thu Nov 27 10:39:11 CET 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 16:26 +1300, Joshua Leung wrote:

> This afternoon, I've written up a doc in the wiki about issues
> regarding the View2D-API:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/View2D
>
> - Is there anything to add, change?

Are scrollbars the best option? One of the things I like about Blender
is the minimum mouse movement, and scrollbars are a step away from this.
Middle mouse button panning is sometimes the right option (when you can
already see the part you want in the centre of the screen) but sometimes
is not (when you want to scroll an area into view).

If the edge of an area could trigger an automatic scroll with a held
middle click, this would allow scrolling more of that side into view.
When the desired portion comes into view, the mouse pointer is still in
the right area to work on that rather than being at a different side as
scrollbars and middle mouse panning causes.