[Bf-taskforce25] Feedback needed: mapping tablet, mouse, devices

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Nov 23 14:13:54 CET 2008

Hi,

1) Tablet mapping

I'm not a tablet user... not sure how many options you have for a pen
click. Currently the tablet event is registered as-such, but I can
imagine you want tablet events to map to mouse clicks. Or do we leave
this to the tablet drivers to handle?

2) Mouse mapping

To efficiently make use of user configs for left/right mouse
especially, we should prevent this to happen in all cases. A
keymap/handler definition therefore should use these defines if you
intend this to be user-defined:

KM_ACTION_MOUSE
KM_SELECT_MOUSE

And have those translated to left/right mouse based on the user preset.

3) Laptops / multi-touch

Modern laptops don't have mouse buttons anymore even, like Apple's
multi-touch track pad which allows to map LMB or RMB, but have
possibilities to track 3, 4 fingers as well. It generates even scroll
or zoom events. Would be cool to have a good standard mapping system in
Blender, to make it integrate well with regular mouse input.

4) Simpler mouse support

How will we support one- or two-button mice (laptops)? The current
mapping gives conflicts with hotkeys in cases, will need some
experimenting.

5) Trackballs, 3DOF devices

Same goes for other devices... can we efficiently remap such input to
standard Blender handlers, or will those become custom (user defined)
ones?

-Ton-