[Bf-scripts-dev] GMesh package released

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 08:31:16 CEST 2005

Hey guys,

In the last month, I've been working on a mesh wrapper
to facilate certain operations often used in export or
just plain mesh manipulation.

The result was a package which I called GMesh (generic
mesh).

There's still some rough corners (converting from
NMesh could definitly be faster), but I thought I'd do
a first release and then we can see where it's going
to go from there.

GMesh is distributed under the LGPL.

(following bits are adapted from the docs)

GMesh is a generic mesh wrapper around Blender's NMesh
module.

Geometry structures in GMesh contains two-way links to
their subdata, meaning that faces are made out of
vertice and edges and that those element know which
face they are part of and so on, which makes a lot of
the operations much simpler and faster than using
straight NMesh.

GMesh has the following features:

    * Powerful auto smoothing function
    * Precise normal recalculation (better than
Blender's own)
    * High level geometry splitting function (used in
the built in per image and per material split
functions)
    * Face to Vertex UV conversion (can be used to
split UV islands)

Docs (generated from epydoc) are online there:
http://www.elysiun.com/~theeth/gmesh/GMesh_doc/
The docs also include some simple and less simple
examples.

A demo (avi/XVid compressed) showing the result of the
smoothing function can be downloaded there:
http://www.elysiun.com/~theeth/gmesh/Demo.avi
This demo shows a cone with its base stretched in a
point, an object that's rather hard to smooth
correctly (as demonstrated). The video is a
comparaison between Blender's autosmooth function,
GMesh's autosmooth function using normals recalculated
in Blender and GMesh's autosmooth using GMesh's normal
recalculation.

GMesh can be downloaded (including docs) there:
http://www.elysiun.com/~theeth/gmesh/GMesh.zip
The zip containts a single folder containing the GMesh
package. You can put it in your user defined script
folder or in the python lib or site packages folder.

Enjoy!

Martin