[Bf-scripts-dev] script merger, clean up, and testing

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Tue Oct 19 14:16:50 CEST 2004

Hi Tom,

Tom Musgrove wrote:

> After 2.35 can we create some goals for the scripts?
>
> I'd like ot see a bit of clean up, pulling out common functionality
> and creating libraries for it, merging the scripts that cover the same
> functionality (we have three or four obj importers - only one of which
> seems to work reliably and it isn't the one bundled) (we have three or
> four bvh importers), etc.  Lots of duplication of assorted math and
> utility functions, etc.
>
> Also we should really accumulate a small set of test items and have it
> be part of the whole prerelease.
>
> What do you think?

We (talking also for other "oldtime" bpython devs) completely agree with
that, it's been part of the plan.  I already wrote a new Camera test
that can be used for other modules as well and creating helper modules
is another needed thing, for sure.  After 2.35 I'll add a modules/ dir
inside scripts/ where all modules can go.

One of the ideas that would be good to have implemented, for example, is
splitting import / export scripts in two parts, the executable for the
menu and a module, like JMS did for the curve import ones.  This way
other scripts can import and export the formats, too.  And we can
implement a way to use Blender as a command-line format converter.

Another ex: helper functions to save and restore script config data (in
bpydata/ dir) using a simple and common format.  On the scripts front, a
"registry dict" browser (referring to Blender.Registry module) to see /
change data directly there and an installer, so users can easily install
new scripts they download.

We just need to organize the effort well and define clear steps to
implement things.

--
Willian