[Bf-python] Add-on to Import Shape Keys from SVG

Shrinivas Kulkarni shrinivk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 09:15:12 CEST 2018

Hi All

Sorry for broadcasting this message to all. But I got this mailing
list ID from Blender site and thought of sharing this info with you
all, just in case if it's useful.

To create shape keys of curves, currently we need to edit the curve in
place (please correct me if I am wrong) with Blender's curve editing
features. I thought, it would be nice if users could import the shape
keys as well as the targets from an SVG file. This would enable them
to harness all the SVG editor's features to create the shape keys
independent of the target. To my understanding this functionality is
not available as of now.

I have created a blender add-on that implements this functionality. In
this implementation the matching of nodes in target and shape key is
rather arbitrary (longer segments get divided). Maybe you can suggest
a better approach.

Link to the repository: https://github.com/Shriinivas/shapekeyimport
Plugin file: shapekeyimport.py

Link to introductory video: https://youtu.be/XMimQfQR_ss

Would highly appreciate your feedback on this.

Best regards
Shrinivas