[Bf-python] Node Groups with custom node/socket types

Brian Savery brian.savery at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 03:05:37 CEST 2016

Big picture, I'm trying to get custom nodes to work in the built in
ShaderNodeTree (I know...). Partly because I want to use the grouping
function.

1. I made my own custom NodeSocket type MyNodeSocket. However it seems that
from the C code that the mapping from NodeSocketXXX to
NodeSocketInterfaceXXX is hardcoded. Thus, when a node group is made, the
NodeSocketInterface type for the corresponding socket has the generic
NodeSocketInterface and I get errors about it not having a draw() method.

2. Ok why not use the built in Socket types? Those seem to work fine.
However, I can't seem to replace the default_value in a socket with
something to my liking. For example I want to replace the
NodeSocketFloat.default_value with a different FloatProperty, one where I
set the min/max/description/etc. Is there any way to do that?

Thanks.