[Bf-python] duplicate name entries in D.objects

James Crowther jamesharrycrowther at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 02:47:30 CEST 2016

Hi, just trying to understand why there are sometimes more than one entry
in D.objects with the same name? This behaviour was a little unexpected for
me since I had assumed that these collection types behaved similarly to
python dictionaries since they resemble them closely in that they have a
name, value pattern.
However, in a python dictionary it is not valid to have two entries with
the same name. This is certainly not the case for D.objects which clearly
can support more than one entry with the same name.

I have experimented with renaming objects from the properties panel. Lets
say there is an object named 'Cube', if I add another object and rename it
to 'Cube', the object that had originally held the name 'Cube' is renamed
to 'Cube.001'

So I was surprised to find that in D.objects, there are duplicates and
would like to understand why this happens, how to reproduce this behaviour
and whether this is useful behaviour or a byproduct of some other feature?

Kind Regards

James