[Bf-python] OpenCollada Documentation?

Khalifa Lame khalibloo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 22:05:02 CEST 2016

Thanks very much Toni. I got in touch with one of the OpenCollada devs. He
also advised me to stick with my C# code.

I continued on with C# but, while testing today, the results were less than
encouraging. It's painfully slow to load meshes with more than a few
thousand polygons. I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet, but I think
it's down to the very nature of collada data. The data is stored in a raw
form and one has to calculate just about everything manually. From normals
to share vertices, etc. These calculations seem to scale exponentially with
model complexity.

Some months back, I invented my own xml-based 3d format where everything is
pre-calculated before being written to file. I've been using that to
save/load 3d scenes within the app. It looks more and more likely that I'll
have to write a blender exporter for that format rather than using collada.
Fingers crossed, that should fix the long waits when loading models.

Thank you very much.

khalibloo®