[Bf-python] Let Addons finf out if new release available...

Jonathan Giroux bloutiouf at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 05:13:56 CET 2016

Hi,

I published last year an addon that can do that:
https://github.com/Bloutiouf/blender-addon-registry . I sent an email to
this mailing list to announce it. It went totally unnoticed. That shows the
lack of interest BF and the addon community has in a modern addon
management. So let's happily continue to edit a poor wiki page and show the
world that blender, which claims its extensibility through addons, cannot
support them professionally.

I understand Christopher's doubts regarding privacy, which is important for
the open source community. To which I answer 1. It's unthinkable without
letting the option to enable/disable this feature, which is very quick to
add. 2. Getting addons into mainline is not a scalable solution. On the
contrary, I dislike that blender comes with bundled addons that I will
never use. The scalable solution is to easily allow addons to be downloaded
and updated, which is the goal of my addon.

Gaia, you could add your plugins in my  repository. It could need a little
dedusting, as I haven't updated it since, I'll look at that soon.

Jo