[Bf-python] using bpy.ops.render.render in background

James Crowther jamesharrycrowther at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 21:50:05 CET 2016

Hi there,
	As part of our add-on (for a five min vid of what it does see here -> https://youtu.be/1w5wSY2hnuQ <https://youtu.be/1w5wSY2hnuQ> ) we use the background mode of blender extensively, at blend con 2016 we both presented this add-on and asked some questions at the developers session. One of our questions was regarding issues in using the background mode. Specifically, we run a script which essentially runs a main loop, keeping the background mode process alive. This background process is then used to update blend data and render.

The question I would like to ask is regarding the use of operators and specifically bpy.ops.render.render. We currently are having issues with using bpy.ops.render.render in background mode. The issue is that after a couple of renders using cycles engine, the background process gets stuck and will hang on a render. The weird part is, if I exit from the main blender session, which is the parent process to the background blender process I am calling bpy.ops.render.render in, then the render will become unstuck and the background process will become responsive again. The same issue occurs with the blender internal engine, though it seems that I can do more renders with the internal engine than cycles until the same problem occurs.

Any help in a work around would be appreciated!

Kind Regards

James