[Bf-python] Project: More control over fluid simulations

Pablo Wiedemann pablo at wiedemann.es
Thu Nov 12 20:55:20 CET 2015

Hello,

I’m a maths student from Germany and I'm working on a Project to enhance more control over smoke/fluid simulations.
I’m relatively new to Blender’s workflow so I would love to get some Help. I didn’t find any useful information on the web, maybe somebody can help me out?

The first aim is to create a plugin/addon which allows defining a specific initial velocity fields on a grid for smoke simulations.

The first idea is for one tool is:
- Modell an object (for the start a closed surface. f.i. a bunny) which will represent the smoke
- Paint on it some weights/colors --> this represent the velocity of the smoke in direction of the facet (or vertex) normals.
- Create a grid around the object where the simulation will run though.

To do (scripting):
1) from the painted velocities can be represented as vortex sheets on the surface of the object. From this vortex sheet it is possible to compute the initial velocity field on the entire grid.

2) manage somehow to give this computed initial velocity field to blender's fluid solver, which will advect the particles i.o. to visualise the smoke

QUESTIONS (its all about point 2) ):
1] Is there any documentation on how to work with Blender’s fluid solvers? or could somebody give me a hint/example how to solve point 2)?  I probably have to get into the source code, right? I mean with python point 2) can’t be solved?

2] Is there any function in Blender which can tell me if a grid point is inside or outside of the modelled surface (the bunny)?

I would reeeaaally appreciate any kind of small help!
Thanks in advance!