[Bf-python] Blender Cloud Sync Add-on

Catalin Moldovan moldovan.catalin at gmail.com
Mon May 11 18:43:06 CEST 2015

As Jonathan Giroux said many users prefer to save their preferences on the
cloud for convenience. I use Blender on two computers and every time I
update to a new version I need to add again my custom layouts, my custom
start-up file and change a lot of settings. I know I could use symlinks, I
used junction in the past for that but that's just hacking and not all
users have the skills or the time to do that and they shouldn't have to. At
work I cannot use the Dropbox client, I use only the web version so
symlinks not an option. So the whole symlink solution is just a workaround
for the "problem" not a proper solution from may point of view.
I don't think it is should be seen as a strong privacy violation either,
users are using Dropbox or other cloud storing services again for the
convenience they provide and it is their choice to do so. If we enable them
to use and add-on to do that (or even provide the option in settings) it is
their choice to use it or not.
What I'm doing right now is investigating what this undertaking involves.
Frankly I am surprised that no one has already implemented something like
that, or maybe I didn't searched enough?!
For convenience still, I believe that Blender needs a nice integrated
add-on store or repository but that's another topic I will raise later :)