[Bf-python] The road to deprecation

Dan Eicher dan at eu.phorio.us
Wed Jan 7 04:28:59 CET 2015

Hi,

For example, if you set a vertex location you don't get the result in
> Python (updated bounding box etc) until you run `scene.update()`.
> But it doesn't make sense to add a vertex.set_co() method just to get
> an instant update. (wouldn't have to be added for every other data
> type... uv's etc).
>
> Isn't one of the goals of the depsgraph refactor to make these expensive
updates more fine grained and fairly cheap?

> Why not instead remove `frame_set` and have an explicit update function?
>
> I'd say just make scene.frame_current read-only (since it's really only
good for that anyway) and keep the current frame setting method so as to
not unnecessarily break any scripts.

That whole frame_current not updating has been there since the early 2.5
days and nobody has tried (and failed) to fix it other than myself so now
it's pretty much 'expected behavior' in who knows how many scripts.
Probably do more harm than good to mess with it now methinks.

Dan