[Bf-python] questions about best practice

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 23:54:44 CET 2014

Note, we have some example Python tests here:

https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/browse/master/tests/python/

eg:
https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/browse/master/tests/python/bl_pyapi_mathutils.py

I've been using Python unittest module recently and its quite useful,
however this does rely on you being able to automate your script so
interface, cursor-events etc can be bypassed.

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Sybren A. Stüvel <sybren at stuvel.eu> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 12:53:33PM -0700, Dan Eicher wrote:
>>> Secondly, when I open a script in the Blender Text Editor to run, and I'm
>>> using an external module or package, how do I add that module / package to
>>> the path? Right now, in my script, `import foo` just gets me `No module
>>> named foo`.
>
> This is due to the current working directory being set to Blender's
> directory, and not the directory of the .blend file.
>
>> I tend to use sys.path.append() a lot since fedora doesn't have
>> /usr/local/lib in python's default path but you can also drop the
>> module in blender's addon module directory too. Not really sure how
>> it works when python is bundled with blender though...

> can press F8 to reload it. However, usually I want to put my .blend
> file and Python scripts in the same directory. If you want to do that
> too, take a look at the approach I describe at
> http://stuvel.eu/blog/203/reloading-your-code-in-blender This gives
> you a setup that allows you to load modules from the same directory as
> your .blend file, and easily reload your code. The reloading isn't
> flawless, but it works most of the time ;-)
>

> --
> Sybren A. Stüvel
>
> http://stuvelfoto.nl/
> http://stuvel.eu/