[Bf-python] Ideal way to store material data for matlib add-on?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri May 10 21:08:53 CEST 2013

Reliably copying material data in and out of a .blend file is going to
be difficult, I wouldn't recommend it. For one, the blender file DNA
needs to match and that keeps changing all the time. Another big issue
would be how it links with other datablocks, if a material has
textures, images, nodes, light groups, etc those pointers will become
invalid. The only way to reliably save all data of a material data
block I can think of is to actually save it to a .blend file.

If you are going to do something like this, you could perhaps find a
way to strip out all the unnecessary DNA and datablocks to get a
library .blend file that is as small as possible, rather than trying
to paste a material into an existing .blend. You could implement a way
to strip wm, screen, scene, .. and similar datablocks that are in
every .blend file, and some way to strip DNA definitions that are not
used by any data saved in the file.

I guess a way to save such a compact library .blend could be useful to
implement in Blender itself too.