[Bf-python] Support listing of multiple versions of the same addon

Asbjørn lordcrc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 21:07:41 CET 2013

On 01.03.2013 19:37, Nathan Vegdahl wrote:
> I realize there are nay-sayers here who for some reason think this is
> a bad idea, but there really are meaningful use cases for this, many
> of which have already been outlined in this thread by myself, Clemens
> Barth, and Domino Marama.  This is a feature that is transparent and
> will not hurt you if you don't use it, but does hurt you if you need
> it and don't have it.

As an add-on developer I would find great use for such a functionality,
and I think our users could as well. It would be very nice to be able to
install both the unstable and the stable version, and be able to
effortlessly switch between them, for example to determine if an issue
is a regression.

> Clearly the back-end mechanics to make this work are going to be a
> little trickier, however.  For one thing, at the bare minimum
> different versions of the same addon need to be installed in different
> places or with different names or something.  So some kind of standard
> for that will be needed.

I think it would be best if the plugin has to announce (fex in the
script info block) that it supports "switching" versions. This would
avoid issues with weirdo scripts.

Cheers
- Asbjørn