[Bf-python] No More Renaming or Alias Vol 101, Issue 3 (Squeaky Wheel)

Daniel Monteiro Basso danielmbasso at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 02:32:01 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 12:32 AM, Atomic Perception <
atomicperception at gmail.com> wrote:

> Developer time should be spent making things that don't work
> ...work. Not making things that do work not work.

You are analyzing the proposed change from your single point-of-view, which
can be summarized as "developer who coded something and don't want to spend
more time on it". It is a perfectly valid PoV, I myself would like to spend
as little as possible maintaining my add-ons that are working just fine.
But restricting your analysis to only this PoV is somewhat egotistical.

I clearly see the value in having a consistent naming scheme, and a way to
fix things around without breaking functionality for end-users. You may not
like the possible additional work, but every active developer will surely
enjoy the benefits of this endeavor.

Besides, fixing nomenclatures is just a matter of being warned by a user
("hey, I got this warning"... everything still works, and you have months
to fix your code), and then something almost like "sed -i -e
s/oldid/newid", or whatever your editor provides you. Come on, don't you
have time for something as simple as that?

Cheers,

Daniel