[Bf-python] 32/64-bit binary Python add-ons

Dan Eicher dan at trollwerks.org
Thu Jan 3 18:43:44 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 3:42 AM, Brecht Van Lommel <
brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:

> > On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 12:18 AM, Thomas Krijnen <t.krijnen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> Regarding compiling binaries for many platforms in general, that
> indeed gets complex. But what can we do about this?

The easiest way would be to use something like cython which can compile on
the fly and cache the result so one would only have to do it the first time
the addons were loaded.

But that'd be adding more runtime deps -- cython itself, a compiler
toolchain, &etc...

BTW, I think I have my simple little project to get makesrna to generate
cython (read-only) bindings around RNA_blender.h in a usable state now
(still need to do some unit tests but the generated code LGTM) so spending
some brain-cycles on this will probably help out exporter writers and
whatnot who don't want to suffer the py-penality of going through bpy.

Dan