[Bf-python] Contrib Addon Review: io_mesh_xyz

Clemens Barth barth at root-1.de
Tue Oct 30 21:18:34 CET 2012

Dear Campbell.

> We don't have to be totally strict about where addons put panels and
> knit picks, but think its worth attempting to make addons fit in with
> blender and not overload addons with too much functionality.

Well, I see the point: separating things.

> but ideally IMHO, there would be an addon for import/export
> and thats all it would do,
> then if you wanted to have some panel with a bunch of various tools
> this could be an addon distributed separately.

If so, the best is to also modify the PDB addon since the same panel
appears after importing a PDB file.

2 IOs + one panel for both. The panel needs then to be reduced, too:
The part that helps 'reloading' structures wouldn't work anymore
(and can be principally removed since we have shift+d).

All this is possible, however, only in view of ...
> I realize in practice this is more effort to integrate.
... the point you are mentioning: time.

Furthermore: If we do all this, will the panel be also in trunc? If not,
a user has to activate the two IOs, pdb and xyz, and then he has to
install separately the panel - a solution I consider as 'complicated'.

> For now, if you have time for this is best to make the obvious
> improvements suggested in the code review and leave areas you are
> uncertain about.
Okay. What about: First focusing on the XYZ IO and trying to separate the
importer from the panel. Meanwhile, I could fix some of the improvements
suggested. How shall the panel be named? 'add_atomic_blender_panel.py'?

Cheers,

Blendphys.