[Bf-python] Contrib Addon Review: io_mesh_xyz

Daniel Monteiro Basso danielmbasso at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 10:01:21 CET 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Clemens Barth <barth at root-1.de> wrote:

> You mean into this file dialog? Oh, no ... the reason is the following:
> When
> a structure is loaded, only the first frame is visible. Sometimes, xyz
> files may
> contain more than >1000 frames, which you sometimes don't want to see.
> So, this is why there is a 'skip frames' option. Furthermore, there is the
> option to
> put other frames in between two frames to smoothen the movements
> (frame/key).
> After having chosen the 2 prefs values, you load the frames, which may
> take some
> time.
>
> Finding out the best parameters is just done by try/error in the scene
> (playing around):
> you try out one set of parameters and if this is not good, you delete the
> keys, change the
> parameters and restart. This is quite convenient and easy to do.

Perhaps you should use the same strategy I used in my mocap tools. I made
two mocap importers (Acclaim and C3D) and then made a third addon which is
a 3D View panel that uses these importers (CMU Mocap Library Browser,
cmu_mocap_browser).

Both importers have a frame_skip parameter, but the panel replicates this
parameter for convenience.

But my browser addon is still in contrib, so perhaps it is better not to
use it as reference, I don't know.

Cheers,

Daniel