[Bf-python] BMesh upgrade docs & api info

benoit.muller at laposte.net benoit.muller at laposte.net
Fri Mar 30 08:01:35 CEST 2012

Hi,
thank you for this usefull document.

I'm currently upgrading my Exporter to 2.63 and I have 2 questions. I would be
gratefull if someone could help.

1) I cannot find the UV information on the MeshTexturePoly. Where should be the UV
information when using NGons (Mesh.polygons).

2) The 3DEngine supports Tris and Quads, and is performant with quad.
So my plan is to first iterate on all Ngons of the Mesh.
If max NGons are <=4, I would use Mesh.polygons to export Tris and Quads
If max NGons are >4, I would use Mesh.tessfaces to export tesslated Tris.
Is it a good strategy ?

Regards,
Benoit Muller

> Message du 23/03/12 02:41
> De : "Campbell Barton"
> A : "Blender Foundation Python list"
> Copie à :
> Objet : [Bf-python] BMesh upgrade docs & api info
>
> Hi List, its been a while since I posted to the list on bmesh python
> api progress and related issues.
>
> Firstly, I've added a section to our docs which gives some info on how
> to upgrade scripts as well as some of the differences between the 3
> ways to access faces now.

http://www.blender.org/documentation/blender_python_api_2_62_2/info_gotcha.html#ngons-
and-tessellation-faces

> One breaking change is that mesh.faces is now called mesh.tessfaces,
> this is so scripts dont fail silently, either you want to use tessface
> data - which is a now a polygon cache now and should not be edited
> since the changes wont apply back to the original mesh or you want to
> use tessfaces for exporting,
>
> ---
>
> And a brief update on bmesh docs...
> Added examples and more descriptions to main BMesh module page
> * http://www.blender.org/documentation/blender_python_api_2_62_2/bmesh.html
>
> The types are better arranges (were hard to follow before)
> * www.blender.org/documentation/blender_python_api_2_62_2/bmesh.types.html
>
> Added customdata access (works different to all our previous mesh api's)
> *
http://www.blender.org/documentation/blender_python_api_2_62_2/bmesh.html#customdata-
access

> Meshes that are not in editmode can now be converted to/from bmesh see
> BMesh from_object, from_mesh, to_mesh.
>
> Added select_history access.
> *
http://www.blender.org/documentation/blender_python_api_2_62_2/bmesh.types.html#bmesh.