[Bf-python] Reintroducing snapping?

Gert De Roost paleajed at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 06:34:01 CEST 2012

Good day,

As part of my updating effort of chromolys ruler addon, Im looking at
finding an easy way of reimplementing snapping to element closest to mouse
pointer, something implemented manually and very complex in the original
addon, but now broken and very complex to fix, if possible at all...
Somewhere along the way I noticed that in older versions of Blender there
was an operator called "bpy.ops.view3d.snap_cursor_to_element()" that
allowed to snap the (3d) cursor to a specific type of element (like set
with ToolSettings.snap_element) and also allowed this snapping to be done
relative to mouse cursor.  But it has been removed.  Maybe theres now
another way of doing this but I searched in vain...  Could you consider
reimplementing this really useful operator?  Its a godsend for every addon
that wants to implement snapping under mouse cursor, something really
difficult (and slow) to do manually?

Kind regards,
Gert