[Bf-python] BMesh python api proposal.

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Sun Feb 19 19:15:25 CET 2012

Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since INTERLICHTSPIELHAUS asked, heres what I think our BMesh python
> api will look like, Ill probably start work on it in a few weeks.
>
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.6/Source/Modeling/BMesh/Python
>
> There is not too much creative about this, its just a pythonic
> wrapping of the C api, which should be much more useful then previous
> apis.
>
> Some open issues are listed at the bottom of the wiki.

Am I correct in my understanding that the BMElem.select_set() function will
allow Python scripts to select/deselect mesh elements (vertices, faces, etc.)
without toggling in and out of Edit/Object mode? If so, this will be a very
welcome improvement, particularly for scripts that deal with high resolution
meshes.

Of course, if I'm misunderstanding the use of that function, then I'd like to
know if there *is* a plan to get away from the Edit/Object mode toggle dance
when selecting mesh elements.

  -Jason