[Bf-python] Addon's can no longer access context on activation.

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 13:33:19 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM, dimitris chloupis
<thekilon at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I am the developer of Gyes ( random material and texture generator). The
> reason why Gyes
> use bpy.context.scene is to store a property that store presets of
> randomised materials / textures.
> I wanted the data to be stored/saved with the blend file and be associated
> with the scene curently loaded
> as global scene presets and not specific presets to objects or any other 3d
> asset.
>
> I am not sure if removing bpy.context.scene is a good idea in the first
> place, unless there is another way to save
> , store scene presets together with the blend file. If so , then gladly I
> will update my addon. But if not , it basically
> cripples / makes useless my history tool ->
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/System/Gyes/History-Tool
>

> ________________________________

Access has only been removed on loading the addon.

The solution is just not to access presets when the addon loads and
register()'s,
during execution you still have regular access to the context
(operators, panels etc).

Since the scene at load time may very well not be the same scene when
the script executes (if the user loads a new file), whatever changes
made at load time are likely lost.

--
- Campbell