[Bf-python] Modified RenderEngine API Proposal

Doug Hammond doug.hammond at luxrender.net
Wed May 11 19:59:57 CEST 2011

> Passing on if the render is part of an animation is no problem (adding
> e.g. self.is_animation_render). Would that be sufficient? Not sure
> what kind of batch export you are talking about here, maybe that
> should be an operator instead?

If I'm perfectly honest, I can't remember now the exact use case, it could
be
that we've already found a suitable work-around or alternative way of
dealing
with it. I only remember at one point thinking it would be useful.

> Doing totally custom preview scenes would be possible, just add a

property for the preview type and ignore the scene blender gives you.
> So question is then, is this something we should then just leave to
> render engine entirely, and have Blender only pass on the datablock?
> Or should we improve the builtin preview scenes?

I presume you're talking about a new type of datablock for the preview
settings,
and this is not something currently available?

The problem we have with the built in scene is that it relies on material
alpha/transparency and other non-physical properties to light it.
The scene+camera is enclosed in a sealed box and all the lights are outside!

I think it would be best for LuxRender if we just construct our own scene,
trying to translate the existing one is probably more trouble than it's
worth.

--
Doug Hammond (dougal2),
Developer and Admin for