[Bf-python] Modified RenderEngine API Proposal

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Wed May 11 15:20:35 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Martin Poirier <theeth at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Modifying data during rendering is a bad idea. If a render engine needs to
do this, it should be done in a pre or post render step (meaning the render
engine api would need to provide such steps).

Well, yes that's what I meant ;) And if you're using a renderer via the API
it's not going to be directly accessing DNA data like blender internal
currently does anyway, it'll be in its own format. But being able to modify
data eg. before/after renders, when opening files, etc. would make life much
easier.

> Also, the .layers[0] access somehow seems like an incomplete
implementation.
> I would like to perhaps see something like this for full support of named
layers:
> ly_combined = result.add_layer('Combined')
> ly_combined.rect = combined_data()
> ly_depth = result.add_layer('Depth')
> ly_depth = depth_data()

Well not just accessing layers by name (eg. naming the hard coded 'render
passes' currently used in blender) but being able to dynamically add and
send image data to any number of arbitrary aovs per render layer is whats
needed.