[Bf-python] blender and external editors - workflow?

Dietrich Bollmann diresu at web.de
Thu Sep 2 09:20:25 CEST 2010

Hi Marc,

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 03:41 +0200, Marc Weber wrote:
> Hi Dietrich,
>
> A cmake patch for command port.
>
> (I'm neither a blender nor a cmake expert) - but I have blash now and
> the #ifdefs in .c code are considered.

That you have been able to make it work proves the opposite in my humble
opinion.  Are there any experts anyway?

> There is one TODO left: find and add readline (i solved this
differently
> on Nixos)
>
> Patch attached
>
> Probably blash is not yet installed either. But it builds and you can
> run it.

Thanks a lot :)

I applied your patch (without testing) and pushed it to launchpad:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~diresu/blender/blender-command-port-002/revision/15548

  15548. By Dietrich Bollmann 19 minutes ago
  Added "A cmake patch for command port" by Marc Weber.

Did you read the comments concerning the command port on the blender
patch tracker?  ...Just to ensure that you know what you are going to
use :)

  [#6887] The Blender Command Port patch makes it possible to start
  Blender in Python server mode. Clients can connect and send Python
  commands via the command port to the server.
https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=6887&group_id=9&atid=127

In short (and leaving out some other points):  As I wrote everything
from scratch in c (all the low-level stuff for the socket communication
etc.) it was criticised as being too long and not integrated into the
blender repository.  I thought about rewriting everything using some
library and existing protocol but currently don't find the time...

> Soon I'm ready to try your .el files etc.

This is stuff I wrote for my private use and kind of a mess...  Not even
close to a state where it could be released.  Still, for myself it is
_very_ helpful.  I only published it on launchpad as some other user
wanted to have the sources...

I hope you can make it work even if so.  If you have questions please
let me know, I'll try to help...

> A simple print("..") worked.

Happy to hear that :)

Good luck and let me know about your further results!

Cheers, Dietrich