[Bf-python] python edit mode limitation?

Bassam Kurdali bkurdali at freefac.org
Sat Jun 12 18:19:32 CEST 2010

Hi all, was hoping someone could answer this question:
armature editbones are only available in edit mode- the data structure
simply does not exist till then. this raises a problem:

while the api can turn on edit mode, I can find no way to (from py) make
an object active to edit. If I'm right, there is no way to edit an
unselected armature (and possibly other object types).

I can hink of two solutions:

1-api to set active

2-api to create the edit structure of an object directly, without having
to select it first.

naturally, I'm aware focus is on bugfixes, but wanted to know what the
other bpythonistas thoughts on the issue, and indeed if there is a way
to do this already.

cheers
Bassam

ps. please read and answer! this list is far too quiet :)