[Bf-python] Python in Blender for Pycon

joe joeedh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 09:22:53 CET 2009

Our python setup is a bit different now since the 2.5 project.  We now
require python 3.1 or greater.  I believe we also bundle python with
blender on all OS's now.

The API was completely rewritten for the 2.5 project.  We now use a
system called RNA to define generic API interfaces, which
theoretically could be plugged into any language.  This system lets us
flexibly create wrappers around the core data structures, with
built-in numeric limits, documentation strings, etc.

The UI is now driven by python, as is a few import/export scripts, but
by and large the python API is still fairly incomplete, and is likely
to change/evolve quite a bit.

Joe