[Bf-python] Blender scripting API

Antti Siponen antti.siponen at iki.fi
Tue Apr 14 19:50:53 CEST 2009

> I am somewhat confused by your use of the word 'marshalling'.
> Traditionally, this means to serialize a data structure or object in
> order to stream it over the wire or to disk.

Ah, but that is a Python users tradition, isn't it? :)
I use marshalling to generally mean the process of converting data
structures to a suitable form for transmission through some external
interface. Be it wire, storage, RPC or whatever. I agree that my use
of that word (or any other) is propably not the academically correct
one though. I'm just an electronics engineer not an information
scientist...

> Essentially, what you are talking about is being able to embed another
> scripting language and use it to call Blender's internal API.  The
> main problem with this idea is that there *is* no Blender API to wrap
> directly - although the 2.50 project will change this.  People who
> want to use Blender as a shared library or .dll face the same issue.

Thank you. From your description I now understand the situation better.
I see you gathered my point quite well even with the slight confusion with
words. Basically I had this fantasy about a possibility to dynamically load an
external intepreter for scripts in blender that would call some internal API.
Eventually it seems to be becoming possible anyway with a C-plugin API
that people on the IRC were hinting about...

I'll remain and wait. Maybe if someone needs a hand with something related to
this, just let me know... I have *some* (not unlimited) free time now
until next
December for a programming project...

Antti Siponen