[Bf-python] help off-screen rendering with blender in python

Nathan Letwory jesterking at letwory.net
Thu May 15 10:28:19 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Astan Chee <stanc at al.com.au> wrote:
> Nathan Letwory wrote:
>> You might be interested in:
>>
>> http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread?t=41786
>>
> Thanks, that was almost it but I noticed that I have to open blender and
> script python in blender. I wanted to use blender in python using my
> choice of python interpreter (IDLE).
> Or did i completely misunderstood blender in python?
> Thanks again
> Astan

I guess you could still start blender through IDLE, but what you'd
then want is starting the script through a command-line option.
Blender does allow for background rendering (headless).

The blender API doesn't work outside of Blender, but you certainly can
write scripts outside of it (as long as you have some way of loading
it into Blender ;) With some tweaking I think it should be possible
for you to create a working pipeline that integrates both your IDE and
Blender for whatever you're doing (product demos, I presume?)

I'm sure that Cambo (ideasman) can give more info on this.

Also, if you have time and possibility, do join #blendercoders and
#blenderpython for 'realtime' help :)

/Nathan