[Bf-python] Remote IPython & PyCrust Shell for Blender

Stani spe.stani.be at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 20:54:50 CET 2008

Hi,

I am working on some new features for SPE, which is an open-source,
cross-platform python IDE for Blender:
http://pythonide.stani.be

I am preparing both PyCrust (wxPython shell) and IPython to work
together with Blender in the following way:
- connect to Blender with sockets on the same machine or another
machine through a network or the internet
- autocompletion
- calltips
- help about objects (eg. cube? on IPython)

I successfully made a prototype for both which works with the Blender
Game Engine through the always scriptlink. It still a bit rough, but I
am now able to move objects around in Blender through IPython ;-) It
has the advantage that on dual screen you can have Blender on one
screen and IPython/PyCrust on the other.

However for normal Blender modeling (not Game Engine) I was wondering
which scriptlink I could use without blocking the user interface of
Blender. Is there some sort of timer event/scriptlink? Or is there a
better way to do this?

Thanks for any hints,

Stani
--