[Bf-python] some suggestions for bpy

Davide Vercelli davide.vercelli at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 13:03:20 CEST 2007

On 10/21/07, Campbell Barton <cbarton at metavr.com> wrote:
> Many people forget that blender can make heavy use of multiple scenes,
> once you start doing this, operating on bpy.data.objects is not so nice,
> and even risks messing up data in other scenes, especially bad because
> you often dont notice and save over your file with bad data. (This has
> happened to me before)

Speaking of this, I was just recently thinking that the possibility to
mess up your file while exporting is quite dangerous especially as the
user may not expect this to happen. It happened to me several times
while developing some, admittedly buggy, exporting scripts of mine,
often because of wrapped data being manipulated in some contrived way.

Now, wouldn't it be interesting to have a "safe mode" that would grant
read-only access to data structures, when set? Sure, most exporters
have to generate temporary data , so they actually *need* write
access. Still, I feel that something could be done in this respect.
Any comments on this?

UncleZeiv

ps - sorry, this was a bit off-topic I guess.